2007-08-27

What's done is done?

Tonight while serving the dutch oven chicken to a big line of guys and girls from the ward, it reminded me that men and women generally have very different ideas of what "done" means. Many women carefully inspected their chicken, poking it carefully, while the men didn't seem to care. I've noticed the same thing with steaks and my sisters. Pink is absolutely verbotten.

These seem to be the rules for doneness:

For women:
  • Moisture, juices and oils (i.e., the flavor) should not be present in any state on the exterior of the meat, or when the meat is cut into.
  • The meat should be firm enough that it could be used as a tongue depressor.
  • The color should be entirely uniform. Spackle colored for chicken, grout colored for steaks.
For Men:
  • The meat must have criss crossed char marks.
  • The animal must be dead.
Now I understand why so many women don't seem to like a good steak! I'd dislike it too if it were a blackened, dry disc. Trust me ladies, it's already dead, there's no reason to kill it again.

1 comment:

  1. A constant battle in our house. My dad likes his meat bloody. Mom wants him to live. However, meat thermometers work wonders in that arena. I like the occasional medium to rare steak myself.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?