2007-12-13

The Curse of the PT Cruiser

While filling out my expense report for my most recent trip, I counted the number of times that I'd been to San Diego in the last few months. It was some ridiculous number like 6 or 7. Every time I've traveled to San Diego, I've been cursed with driving a PT Cruiser. Ungh. I'll take anything else. Give me your Malibus, your Impalas, your G6s, just NO MORE PT cruisers.

I'm so sick of driving that little car. The buttons are all in the wrong place, it doesn't get good gas mileage even though it's so small, it turns like an elephant, and sometimes the headlights stay on even after you turn them off. And to top it off, nothing screams "Look, I'm from out of town!" like driving a PT Cruiser in San Diego.

Two trips ago, I was standing behind this guys in the rental car line. He completed his paperwork, took the keys, and went out into the parking lot. He was back in about two seconds. He said, "There's no way I'm driving that." What was the car? A canary yellow PT cruiser. I totally agree with him, too. The car is effeminate enough without being pastel.

At the rental counter this last time, the lady said, "Well, I have a Corolla and a PT Cruiser." I got all excited and said, "I'll take the Corolla!" But when she punched it in, she frowned, motioned to the guy to my right, and said "Sorry, looks like he got it."

Agh! Like the Miami Dolphins, I remain winless.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you just have to rent 15 times before you get a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rent with National Rental Car- they're pretty darn cheap and when you're part of their frequent renter program you just walk up to the car you want to rent get in and drive it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way that Budget is supposed to work, but their San Diego location is locally owned, so it's a big pain. Unfortunately, Budget is the company's preferred renter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my pt cruiser, Chrysler sells a ton of them so maybe your the one with the problem! Yea a chevy malibu there's a hunk of junk! Good luck with those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naw, I'm pretty sure that PT cruisers are just kinda lame...

    Okay, not really, they're just cars after all. While I appreciate the styling of the Cruiser, I've found them to be underpowered, handle poorly, and get disappointing gas mileage for a car that small. If you're going to get a car that only get 22 or 23 MPG on the highway, there a much roomier and more versatile choices, though not at 15000 dollars, I imagine. But then again, you get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?