2007-09-12

I miss Calvin & Hobbes

I miss Calvin and Hobbes. I credit them with getting me to read the paper at all when I was younger. Bill Watterson drew C&H from 1985 to 1995, and I figure I read it religiously for those last five years. C&H was the perfect mix of honesty, juvenile humor, and social commentary. It was never heavy handed, overtly political, or partisan. In short, it was genuine and beautifully whimsical.

I have to say that I've hardly read a newspaper cartoon since then (even Dilbert, which is a homage to my profession.) And this, I think, is a very telling commentary on the fall of the newspaper and print journalism in general, but that's a topic for another time. What I'm about to do is probably a violation of various copyright laws, but I'm going to post some of my most favorite strips. (Click on the images to blow them up.)

2 comments:

  1. I have been leaking brain lubricant a lot the past couple days... I think maybe that's why I keep getting crazier and crazier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quote of all time hails from C&H: "Reality continues to ruin my life"

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?