2008-11-18

Stuff I like...

My last post was unintentionally whiny. To make up for it, I'd like to highlight a few things that make me happy -- which seems very appropriate this time of year.

  • Sleep: I am the king of sleep. Few things make me happier than sleep. Though I have a hard time reaching unconsciousness, nothing short of an air raid siren can wake me up. I set all my alarms (clock radio, cell phone, and atomic clock) to wake up in the morning. On Saturday morning, I love waking up and realizing that I can go straight back to bed. And I don't think I am ever more contented than when I curl up on the downstairs sofa and fall asleep in front of the afternoon football game.

  • King size beds: With one of these, it's no wonder I love sleep so much. The ability to lie in bed with nary a hand or foot dangling over is the first step to sleeping nirvana. The great irony is that I only sleep comfortably if I confine myself one side of the bed. If I sleep in the middle, I lose all frame of reference and can't remember where things are when I wake up. Odd, I know, but there's a hidden benefit in that the unused side of the bed is great as a laundry staging area.

  • Fresh sheets: does this really need an explanation? Every king size bed needs high thread count sheets, freshly washed. Speaking of, does anybody know which side the scrunchy sides go? I never get it right.

  • Grape Nuts: when you stumble out of your king sized bed, you need breakfast. And though I know they are neither grape nor nut, I always have an industrial sized box of Grape Nuts in my pantry. The great thing about Grape Nuts is that they are three different foods depending on how long you leave them in milk. In stage 1, the pea-gravel stage, they function as mouth exfoliant; in stage 2, the soft outer coating lubricates the crunchy center enough so that they slide in between your teeth so that you have a snack for later; and in stage 3, the Grape Nuts and expand and fuse into some sort of impenetrable wheat lattice that is impervious to water and most soaps. (I discovered stage 3 by accident after leaving a bowl of Grape Nuts in the car all day. I envision potential aerospace applications.)

  • Costco: Where else can you get an industrial sized box of Grape Nuts, a gallon sized can of semi-liquid nacho cheese product, and those really great uncooked flour tortillas that are just as good as Cafe Rio's? Costco people, Costco. AND, they have an unheard of 90 day return policy on electronics that lets you take back your perfectly good iPod for the new one that costs 100 dollars less? I like Costco so much that I have begun to call it "The Costco" in casual conversation. Don't fear, though, I refuse to say "Wal-Marts"


  • Sunday Dinner: I am blessed with a mother of no small culinary talent who frequently dazzled on Sunday. She mastered the oven timer with such prowess that the smell of the roast as you came home from church was enough to bring you to your knees. And when I went off to college, she endured countless calls in my quest to recreate that perfect Sunday dinner. I have achieved a measure of success, and now I realize that Sunday seems eerily incomplete without some form of gravy at the afternoon meal. We may have traded the gravy boat for a Pyrex measuring cup (much easier for mass application), but the spirit of Sunday dinner is alive and well at my new house. Even though we're just a houseful of single dudes, there's something sublime about sharing roast medium well roast beef with friends before you go fall asleep in front of the football game.

8 comments:

  1. GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! (sounds of marching citizens) GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS!GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS!GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! (sound of tanks in distance) GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS! GRAPE-NUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am constantly having to remind Bryan, the scrunchy sides are the stretchy ones, so they go the LONG way, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true bachelor - in every sense of the word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you're like Carrot Top but for blogs... great messsage...

    ReplyDelete
  5. JohnVisser, I love it! Except the grapenuts part --ew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John! I look forward to the day I own a king size bed. For now I will be grateful for my twin. :) I enjoyed reading about the stuff you like! I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love grapenuts. Now I think we need to go buy some! I love stage 1 the most, have to eat them really fast to keep them crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grape Nuts will keep you regular.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?