2008-09-22

The Chonicles of San Diego, Pt1

Once again, I find myself on a work trip. When people ask me about what's new in life, the thing that usually comes to mind is my latest or upcoming travel, because so many people seem interested in the novelty of getting paid to travel. Sometimes I think people assume that it's exotic and exciting; lots of power suits and power lunches and really intense motivational speeches in high rise buildings. I hate to dash any illusions you might have, but right now I'm sitting in a mostly empty office in jeans and a t-shirt, blogging.

Still, I thought it would be fun to chronicle this trip on the blog. I'm going to see if I can come up with at least one good story for every day that I'm here.

I landed in San Diego at 11:30 this afternoon. I swear that we taxied FOREVER. It made me wonder if the airport is really like a big mall parking lot on Saturday, and the pilot tooling around in his 737 looking for a spot that's close to the food court but still doesn't make him walk through the lingerie section of JCPenny. In my mind I can hear the co-pilot yell, "Look! You passed a perfectly good spot right back there! We can WALK."


Still, the day has been good thus far. I enjoyed lunch at Point Loma Seafoods; a seared Ahi sandwhich and bowl of claw chowder. I'm sure we'll talk about food later, so I'll leave it at that. The highlight of the day, though, was this guy panhandling in the median of the street. He was walking up and down past the cars waiting to turn left. He held a sign that said: "BET YOU CAN'T HIT ME WITH A QUARTER."


How's that for a challenge?

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I would definitely try to hit him with a quarter. Who's with me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally in San Diego last week! But it was for pleasure, not work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 things --first the comment about the missed parking spot had me rolling on the floor :) Second, I miss creative homeless people! Homeless people in SoCal are smart! First of all the're not in constantly cold and wet Seattle, and they're not in Hells freezer or oven (depending on the season) in NYC! I love all three areas, but I'm not homeless! At least in SoCal its warm and sunny year round! lol! Have fun in SD!!

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?