2008-04-13

Irony

Ever have a string of bad luck? You know, those times when the fates combine and life just gets weird? Now, I'm not talking about truly bad stuff -- that kind of stuff is just hard. What I'm talking about are the random things that are equal parts irritant and divine humor.

My latest bought started last Tuesday at work. Being last to leave, it was up to me to lock up. I had just armed the door when I realized that my wallet was still on the desk. The alarm system gives you a minute from the time its armed until the door needs to be locked. For that minute, it beeps incessantly like a movie bomb, which really added to the suspense as I rushed back to get the wallet. But I made it! Door locked and wallet retrieved, all without the security guards dispatched.

Several hours later though, I couldn't find the wallet I'd pseudo-heroically retrieved. I didn't think much of it, since wallets usually go AWOL for a few hours at a time, all the time. But Wednesday morning, wallet still missing, I began to wonder if I had imagined the scene from the day before. At work, I still couldn't find the wallet, and after two hours of searching, I decided to face facts that somewhere in the 10 feet from the door and the car, I'd lost it. Resigning myself to fate, I made the call to cancel my cards, and realized that for the next 3 to 5 days, I'd be trying to survive without plastic.

On the phone with the banks, I had this surreal sense that my wallet would be returned only if I canceled my cards. You may think I'm a pessimist, but I'd prefer to think that I have a highly developed sense of irony. Well, my ironic sense was completed vindicated when, less than two hours later, some random guy walked in off the street with my wallet. Contents completely intact.

Oh well, such is life. I guess I'll have to remember how to write a check.

A question to my readers. Should I have given some cash or other reward to the person that returned my wallet? What would you have done?

3 comments:

  1. I found a kid's debit card outside of Old Farm one time. I looked him up on-line, emailed him and he came to pick it up.

    He bought me couple half gallons of Snelgrove's ice cream. (I think they were on sale at Lee's at the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it was me, it would depend on how cute teh guy was and his marital status :) But that doesn't help you so much! I don't think he expected anything but a thank you which I'm sure you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was indeed profuse in my thanks. It was just kind of an awkward experience all around, you know? He hands me the wallet. I say thanks!!! Then he leaves. He was like grandpa age.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?